Contact Brian Reid by clicking the icons above.
Contact Debbie Couzens by clicking the icons above.
Contact Jenny Coleman by clicking the icons above.
Warsash URC has been run by a team of ordained Elders since 1994 when our last Minister left. At present there are 3 serving Elders, each of whom is elected by the congregation to serve for a three year period, we also have 6 Non-serving Elders.
This team brings together a wide range of gifts and talents to the Leadership of the Church and are all equal, sharing the responsibilities equally.
As a team we believe it is our job to encourage and support people in what they believe God is calling them to do. We try to serve the Church rather than direct it and believe this is a model that Jesus has given us.
We meet formally on a monthly basis but have open lines of communication for rapid response as needs arise.
Our Church History
Warsash URC History 1811
When the need for some place for religious worship at Warsash was first mooted the Rev. John Flower, who was then pastor of Titchfield chapel, came to Warsash and talked the matter over with a few of the inhabitants. It was desirable that the place should be as near the centre of the village as possible and ivy cottage was the obvious choice. the necessary arrangements were made and the first services were held on the 19th July 1811, and conducted by the Rev John Flower. from that time services on the sabbath were conducted by students from the bible college at Gosport, and the Rev John Flower took the services on week nights.
Warsash URC History 1845 - 1846
The next record is that Mr I Bevis built a small chapel near the corner for which he charged a rental of 6 guineas per annum. In this chapel the Rev John Flower continued to conduct the week night services and the services on the sabbath were taken by friends from Portsea, Gosport and other places.
Then, in the year 1846 Mr James Gray of Fishhouse, gave a piece of land in the corner of a field between Warsash corner and yew tree farm as a site for the erection of a chapel. The foundation stone was laid on 22nd July 1845 and the independent chapel opened on 30th September 1845. The car park to the right of the church building today is where this chapel stood. On the photo you can see the present building in the background.
Warsash URC History 1890
The new chapel was opened on May 26th 1890 and for that it was decided at the church meeting "admittance to the new chapel be by shilling tickets, the same to invite one to the tea and the after meeting in the evening. By this time the church was part of the Hampshire congregational union and would have been known as Warsash congregational church.
Warsash URC History 1899
The church then got renovated 9 years later. The photo above shows the church under construction in 1899.